If you are going to take the DOT physical exam for the first time, it could be really challenging, particularly if you don’t know what is going to happen during it.
Indeed, none of us like going to the doctor but what could be even worse is putting your CDL at risk. To clear out the air, here we will discuss what you can expect from the DOT exam, such as TVFM’s CDL exam.
- There will be numerous questions about your medical history. All you have to do is answer all the questions honestly as deceiving the examiners can result in legal consequences.
- You will be checked for obesity, alcoholism, and other similar medical conditions.
- You will not be asked to fully undress at once. Although different institutes conduct the exam differently, disrobing fully is usually not included. However, loose and comfortable clothes should be donned to make things easier for both yourself and the examiner.
- You will be asked to undergo a urine test. The sample that you provide will be used to check any underlying medical conditions, such as diabetes. While the urine sample will notUSUALLY be checked for drugs or alcohol,it is completely your company’s choice to decide. If there is a need, these tests will also be taken from the same urine sample that you have provided.
- The “Whisper Test” will be a part of your DOT exam, which is based on hearing. In this test, you are made to stay at least 5 feet away from the examiner. The ear that is being tested will be turned toward the examiner, while the other one will remain covered. The examiner whispers random numbers or words which you have to note. There will be a need to administer an audiometric test in case you fail the whisper exam.
- Don’t forget to bring your contact lenses or glasses to the test if you wear them. Regardless of whether you do or not, you will have to take the vision test.
- The hernia test is a part of the DOT physical exam. This will require you to turn your head and cough while the examiner has his hands placed on your pelvis for examination. It will be a bit awkward but will soon be over.
- A checkup will also be conducted to check your mouth, ears, throat, lungs, heart, and any spine deformities and abnormalities you might have.
DOT Exam Validity
Your DOT physical exam will be valid and applicable for up to 24 months. Nonetheless, the medical examiner has all the rights to intervene in the validity duration based on a sign or symptom of a potential medical issue or other things.
Once the form is filled out and the physical exam is completed, the examiner, i.e., the doctor, will discuss the issues with you if there were any. If there are no concerns, the exam will be valid for 24 months.